1. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

No Mow May

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Rizlaftw, May 26, 2021.

1. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So since May I have been not been Mowing my lawn because of nature such as bees birds butterflys using the ground an such it’s a new thing that has started an tbh it’s been nice having bees an wild life using the ground my daughter has loved it wonder what people’s thoughts on this as I think it helps nature an does good for the environment of no lawn mower being used like there is no petrol fumes or electric being used all that month as well.

2. Doesn't make a huge difference in my opinion, especially if you're specifically mowing grass. What you really need are flower beds to separate perennials (flowers that stay year-round) from the rest of the lawn, and you'll still have birds, bees, beetles, and other insects around your home. And if you have trees around or some sort of garden post, you can install birdhouses.

There are pros and cons to cutting grass though. Pros to cutting grass would include keeping the facade of your home looking tidy to the rest of the neighborhood, reducing allergies since taller grasses tend to release more grass pollen, and preventing weeds from blooming. Cons to cutting grass would include spreading weed seeds, though that's more of a problem if you cut your grass too short or if there are already weeds present in your lawn (in which case, I would suggest plucking out weeds like dandelions before mowing your lawn), but the upside to not cutting grass would be that you're saving money.

But I think the pros outweigh the cons; you should probably regularly mow your lawn. Only exception would maybe be in the winter months.

Rizlaftw likes this.
  3. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I have flower beds around my whole garden an it’s just May I don’t mow the whole month it’s a thing that has started I like the idea I’ve seen a lot more birds n bees use my garden an my daughter loves it.

4. Probably also depends on the climate. Where I live, grass tends to grow a lot in May. Usually March is alright to not mow grass since there are sometimes winter storms that carry over to this month and spring usually doesn't fully arrive until mid-April.

But living in a neighborhood, it's kind of expected that everyone keeps the homes looking tidy, which includes mowing grass.

Rizlaftw likes this.