1. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Tip of the Day: Control Schemes

Discussion in 'World of Warplanes' started by FoxWMB, Jul 8, 2013.

1. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    Tip of the Day: Control Schemes | General News | World of Warplanes

2. El Monstro De Galleta

El Monstro De Galleta Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    hmm I didn't know this game has controller support, I use to play a lot of flight simulators/flying games and mouse works OK but it's so much better to have a proper joystick (which I don't have) or controller with an analog stick (which most games don't support or at least didn't). I'm glad they have controller support, a lot more interested now. :)

4. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    I actually have a proper joystick, got one for a birthday few years ago... And I don't use it cause it's lost in action xD (fell behind some couch, I can't find it xD ) , so I'm actually using the keyboard in WoWp, with mouse only when free camera mode activates to look around. I haven't tried the mouse 0.4.1 version, but I did try the mouse version and very weird things happened, I was losing control of the plane non stop, even crashed a couple of times because the mouse literally threw me into a spin xD .
    Keyboard does just fine, it only lacks the ability to fine-tune the direction where you're going which can be rather annoying if you need to slightly move to aim at something and tiniest touch moves you a lot xD .
    Would still love to try it with a proper joystick :)

5. Aaddron

Credit:
    hmmm I've had that issue with mouse control in a few other games, odd. Keyboard I always find solid but as you described lacking that real fine control. The controls few pretty good though?

6. El Monstro De Galleta

Credit:
    Yeah I find it weird playing wo a joystick too. WoT seems like it would be better wo a joystick, but WoWp.seems like it plays better with one.

7. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    Ideally, the mouse + keyboard combination could be the best without the joystick, with keyboard used to generally fly around, and then mouse used to fine tuned when necessary, this is exactly what I tried to do. However, then this issue with the mouse happened with plane being thrown around and I decided it's better to fly slightly off where I want to, then to have my plane spin around till it ends up on the ground xD .

I'm going to assume you meant to say feel there xD , and if that was the case, well I'm definitely the wrong person to ask cause I pretty much never gave the default controls a chance, I immediately remapped them to default control of a flight simulation game I played for a long time - forgotten battles.
    I spent 10 years flying planes on those controls, I can't change to other controls now xD

It's probably better with a joystick, yeah, but it's still rather playable without one too :)

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    LOL yeah, not sure what happened with that.

Alright then, thanks. :)

9. El Monstro De Galleta

Credit:
    Funny thing is my buddy gave me a joystick for x wing vs tie.fighter years ago which i never used then gave back recently.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    Tried this out today, controller = bad. It's really bad, latency is horrible, sensitivity is all over the place... barely could keep it straight let alone hit anything. Jumped over to mouse, worked well so stuck with it. Haven't had a chance to try keyboard.

11. El Monstro De Galleta

Credit:
    Interesting. I guess im not missing out on anything then.

12. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    Well as I read in developer interviews, WG intentionally tried to make the game equally playable with the mouse + keyboard combo, joystick and controller, the whole idea behind that is that everyone gets the same chance and that player skill matters, not the player's equipment.
    So I find it rather surprising that controller was that bad, they either screwed it up, or that controller Aaddron used is not exactly a good one xD

13. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's a great controller, there is no difference between it and my 360 controller, which is arguably the best controller on the market. The controls are just bad, it feels like a bargain bin console game... it "works" but it's not tight. Honestly it feels like most PC games that don't have a console counterpart but support a gamepad... it "works" but it's not refined.

14. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    I see, so it's a failure on WG's side. Can't say I'm that surprised by it, after all, they have 0 experience with controllers in their previous games. Perhaps you should report it to them, help them improve the performance of controllers :)

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    I might, it is the purpose of a Beta after all however at the same time I've had bad experiences when reporting feedback in a open Forum, attack of the fanboys who refuse to believe the game might not be perfect type stuff. I'd rather not waste type arguing with them when I can just use a different control scheme or might not end up playing the game much anyways. I don't like doing that but I don't want to waste my time either.

16. FoxWMB

FoxWMB Clubbed The Pit

Credit:
    Actually, not in an open forum at all, in fact, devs seem to not pay much attention to the forums. Use the support page, report it directly to them, no fanboys to bother you there, and you can be sure it will be forwarded to the devs :)

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    I went through the thing and it said to post suggestions and feedback on the forums, tickets are for Bugs only. I can't say it's really a bug as the controller seems to be working as intended... it's just the intended is needs work lol.