1. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Twitch vs. Kick

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Snowy, Jun 25, 2023.

Which streaming platform would you pick?

1. Twitch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kick

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. YouTube

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kick is a new video game streaming platform, that has recently gained popularity with the streamer xQc. What do you think about Twitch vs. Kick? Do you think Kick will be the next success, possibly even overthrowing Twitch, or do you think this service will end up like other failed services like Mixer?

2. My thoughts:

Kick:
    (-) Periodically or consistently maintains less viewers than Twitch (especially when a streamer streams simultaneously on both Twitch and Kick)
    (-) Uncertainty with how Kick will run long-term
    (-) Lacking some features (e.g. ability to change email)
    (+) Rules are generally more lenient than Twitch
    (+) Very strategic with building a community (xQc, Dr Disrespect, fousey)
    (+) People will stream here as an alternative when/if they get booted off Twitch

Twitch:
    (-) Overstaffed, and recent massive layoff which could impact them
    (-) Too much of Twitch's recent focus is on Just Chatting instead of gaming, and most of the Just Chatting streams are a bit borderline
    (-) Less usable (too strict on things like password strength and also, Twitch is shutting down in South Korea)
    (+) Consistently has a lot of viewers
    (+) Still a lot of well-known and popular streamers use Twitch
    (+) Strong branding (recognizable logo and a wide variety of iconic emotes) and popular events (i.e. Twitchcon)

I think Twitch is still doing well, but they're more like an iceberg that's ready to crack as soon as Kick implements more features and select more popular streamers to stream on Kick.