1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Attacks

Discussion in 'Ogre Wars' started by ogreman, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vyeh

vyeh Ogre Wars Hall of Fame

Credit:
    Well, Aaddron cornered me against the troop cap, so I was forced to attack him!

Enemy Action Date/Time Offense Casualties Defense Casualties Loot Outcome
    Aaddron Attack Raid March 05, 04:17 PM 465136841 12418 Troops 87677573 47171 Troops 17182g Success

Unfortunately, his troops were rusty and he defended at around 62% of his real defense strength (according to a three week old spy mission).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Actually I had no idea you where at the troop cap or that I even had you cornered... I was just trying to get to the troop cap so I can start building again. I don't attack people :/ Anyways thanks for not taking me out... that would of sucked.

3. Aaddron

Credit:
    Is your plan to knock me down to 0 again? I'd like to know please.

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Like vyeh will let anyone know his plans :D

5. vyeh

Credit:
    I am no longer Ironheads Ogre Warlord. While I have been transmitting the lessons I've learned to my successor, shivers89, the current campaign very much belongs to shivers89 and Coffee Addict, the Steelskulls Ogre Warlord.

At this point, the only plan is to see if shivers89 can accomplish what I failed to do and that is to take both of you on at once.

6. shivers89

shivers89 BamBam

Credit:
    The answer to your ? Aaddron is NO! I do not plan on knocking you or awesomedrako down to 0. I personally believe that if there is a ceiling then there should be a basement and 0 should be a starting point, not something you should have to find your village at over and over.

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Good to know, zero sucks.

8. vyeh

Credit:
    Because revenge has been disabled, no one has to worry about being knocked down to 0. You can only be attacked by villages that have less than 133% of your troop strength and the maximum loss is 20% of the attacker's troop strength. So at worse, you would end up at 55% of the attacker's beginning troop strength.

Before revenge was disabled, you could be attacked for 48 hours by any village that you attacked within the last 48 hours regardless of its relative superiority. Because the maximum loss is 20% of the attacker's troop strength, you could end up at 0.

The revenge clause created great swings and punished intemperate attackers. It had the effect of canceling out longevity in the game. Rizzle Bizzle use to be the fourth strongest Womper. Now he is the first or second.

I've been to 0 twice. I found it fun since there were more targets!

Currently, the Gold Beasts are number one and the Wompers are number two. Obviously, our long-term objective is to knock the Wompers out of the number two position and, if possible, knock the Gold Beasts out of the number one position.

9. vyeh

Credit:
    Even when he wins, he doesn't.:)

Note he lost 80 more troops than I did. I have a lot of spies that eat all the gold that I naturally produce, so there was no gold to take.

And I am not sure the point of three successful spy missions:

He had 100% accurate intel on me after the first one ...

My troops woke up for the second attack!

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I attacked you again... And that one didn't work too well either :D

The three spy missions were because I felt like it, I had spare turns. I killed some of your spies as well.

11. vyeh

Credit:
    It looks like you grew to around 6201 (you recruited troops three times).

Then you attacked me.

You won at 1-1 odds. Because I had 9223 troops, you lost 9% of 9223 or 831. Because you had 6201 troops, I lost 11% of 6201 or 683.

That is why our doctrine after you increased your attack rating was to keep attacking you anytime you got in range. That meant the best attack you could get would be at a 5% disadvantage.

Well, I actually only have the spies because past 10 spies, the 1000+ spies cost me only 10 gold/turn (the natural income) + whatever I have left after I spend everything I can on more offense.

I only had that many spies to overwhelm sharpiejas spy network. For me, it only makes sense to buy spies when I am at the troop cap and can get 300k in gold for 5 turns. Now I can't get 10000 gold for 5 turns.

So there is no point in my buying enough spies to overwhelm your spy network and see what you've done with your offense and defense. I could ask ogreman to run a spy mission, but I don't need to:

On March 26, I got the following intel on you:

My battle report:

For an offense rating of 480590264, the most offense you can get is 150% of that, or 720885396. Your recent attack is at 773571830, which means your offense rating has to be at least 515714554.

Your offense bonus is 15%, your defense bonus is 5%, so to get the additional 35124289, you had to sell (35124289*1.05/1.15)/(.80) or 32070003/(.80) or 40087504 of defense.

Since I assumed the best case, it is likely that you sold more than 40 million of defense, which means any of the six active Ironheads and Steelskulls can attack you with very little casualties!

Of course, you could sell your offense and buy defense, but you lose 20% of the gold value every time you convert offense to defense or vice versa.

It is this phenomenon where the winning player looks like the loser that got me interested in trying to figure out how relative troop strength affects casualties.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  12. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Ogre Wars is sooo much about maths, and I can't be bothered to work anything out!

13. vyeh

Credit:
    Just remember, the larger the opponent, the more troops you will lose. The larger you are, the more troops the opponent will lose.

The Wompers are sending their nestlings after us.

shivers89 reported an attack by Regret.

shivers89 losses: 0 troops
    Regret losses: 1828 troops

I ran a spy mission:

While I don't mind losing a couple of spies, it is a waste for a nestling to spend gold on feeding spies rather than building defense.

The offense rating for Regret is 7247. The defense is 6947. The amount of gold is 9110.

How come the Wompers have two new players? (They already had the most number of active players in the game.)

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I've attacked you again. I won the first one, and you lost more troops, but then I lost the second one and it went downhill from there. Damn random chances!

15. vyeh

Credit:
    you're learning, but, as you said, you had a couple of bad rolls.

I started at 8719 troops. You started at 6503. You were just out of range of me. (You were in range of shivers89, so we will have to add to our doctrine standing orders to check where you are and attack you if possible.)

It looks like you grew to 7563 troops. I'm guessing you turned 64 turns into recruits. Then you attacked me three times.

On the first attack, the random factor favored you and you won at 1-1. I ended up with 7887 troops and you ended up with 6778.

On the second and third attacks, the random factor crushed you. (Your base offense rating is greater than 515 million.)

You probably would have been better off attacking shivers89. shivers89 has 8189 troops and his defense rating is 100 million less than mine (since you have run successful spy missions against both of us, you would know this; you have also attacked each of us multiple times, so you should have a good idea of our defenses even without the spy missions).

I ended up at 6756 troops and you ended up at 5166 troops. Unfortunately, you are within range and since you sold off a lot of defense, I attacked you!

Note I lost 0 troops.

16. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I love being attacked as an Ironhead:).

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I think it is safe to say that I was attacked pretty hard last night by my former Ironhead nation:).

18. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well... actually, me and ec2 were both Wompers, so consider yourself WOMPED!!! or WHOMPED!!!

19. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Yes, I did get Womped pretty good:). That must be revenge for the lost Womper nation.

20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well... I'd love to say yes, but it wasn't as grand or noble as that...

Simply, the Gold Beasts are slowing down everyone, so we're helping to remove you lot from the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.