1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Community Post-it Wall

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Aaddron, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Community Giveaway Pool will be turning 1 year old this month! Thanks goes out to everyone who have participated over this last year! To celebrate points will be doubled all this month, so you will get 20 instead of the standard 10.

2. Aaddron

Credit:
  3. Aaddron

Credit:
    Fire Emblem Heroes launched today for Android and iOS. It's F2P so suggested anyone with interest check it out. We are about a month from the launch of Switch, along with the launch of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I really can't wait, really hoping the console turns out great but that the game is even better. Releasing a few days before is Horizon: Zero Dawn, a open world game exclusive to PS4. An a couple weeks after that comes Mass Effect: Andromada.

That's a lot of game time! Three huge open world RPG ish games in such a small time frame. It's kinda a nice change of pace, usually all the big games come in the fall/holidays. These early months usually hold a few gems and maybe the odd blockbuster but to have 2 heavy hitters and possibly a third in Horizon all releasing in a span of about a month is crazy for this time of year.

Looking forward to how they all pan out, may the best game win... hopefully Zelda. xD

4. Aaddron

Credit:
  5. Aaddron

Credit:
    Played some Fire Emblem Heroes today, not bad, not bad at all. It felt pretty good for a F2P game, it definitely was not up to Nintendo paid game standards but thus far doesn't feel too cash grabby. If nothing else the game makes me wanna play Fire Emblem games... which is probably what Nintendo is hoping.

6. Aaddron

Credit:
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    We are less than 4 weeks from Nintendo Switch launch! I'm super excited for Zelda: Breath of the Wild! I'm pretty much sold on Switch at this point but hanging on to my Breath of the Wild Wii U pre-order just encase... might still pick up the Wii U version even if I do get a Switch. It's set to be the last Nintendo game on Wii U and was one of the reasons I bought one in the first place. I'm really hoping the Wii U version turns out pretty solid, though it already sounds like Nintendo stripped out all the gamepad features as to not overshadow the Switch version. All I really want from the Wii U version is off-tv play, so far I've yet to find confirmation but it would be kind of weird if it didn't have it... especially since as I just mentioned the gamepad doesn't have any features itself. Beyond that, I'm just hoping a solid framerate and reasonable graphics.

Only time will tell and sadly it seems we probably wont know for sure until after release... I highly doubt Nintendo will spend any time showing it off on Wii U and any review copies will very likely be for Switch soooo yea.

8. Aaddron

Credit:
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    Been using Microsoft Edge... oddly it's been kinda great, weird right? Yea, I mean it's actually working solid, fast and smooth... which is everything IE was not and even Edge in it's early days. Got the extensions I use and even spellcheck works pretty well. Crazy times we live in.

I've been kinda moving away from Google. I'm not in any way saying Microsoft is better but I just trust them a little more I guess. The move over the past years hasn't been super smooth. Office Online is vastly more clunky and slow than Google Docs. In fact it takes a decent amount of hardware to run the web version smoothly... makes no sense at all but it's a thing! However if you have Microsoft Office locally this can easily be fixed and in some ways I completely prefer to use this method... except I had tons of syncing issues and well eventually just gave up. So web version it is. I'd consider this a loss to be honest.

Email. So on this front I moved from my long time gmail to an outlook account. I honestly really like Outlook's UI, it's simple, it's clean and it's generally very very quick. I setup gmail to forward to outlook, it's all integrated and aside from gmail being stupid and delivering things late at times... it works very well. Can even send from my gmail account right in outlook itself. One thing that drives me nuts is Skype being tied into Outlook Web... for whatever reason it absolutely refuses to stay offline so whenever I check my email it signs me in to Skype online... this is so stupid and at this point has no fix. Overall email has been super easy and I honestly prefer Outlook at this point.

Windows Mobile over Android. Now this one is more out of necessity than a purposeful switch. I've always been a huge Windows Phone fan and I've used them for a long time now. I would never recommend anyone switch to it though. Microsoft is way behind the ball in mobile, the app gap is real and for all the improvements Windows 10 Mobile made... it lost most of the charm that made Windows Phone so great. The platform needs a ton of attention to get it back on track, it's really not worth using at this point.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
  11. Aaddron

Credit:
    We are now under three week to Nintendo Switch! I am kinda disappointed it wont have any streaming apps at launch, nor a web browser or any real features aside from playing games. Just feels rushed imo. I bet they will come eventually, 3DS had them, Wii U had them, Wii had them so it's a pretty good chance. It doesn't NEED them but features are features, they require little work by Nintendo and appeal to a massive group of people... if it can be the tipping point for some, all the better. They are also nice to have between game releases, a reason to keep using the device when you have nothing to play... once it goes in the drawer for some it doesn't come back out. An don't even get me started on possibly lacking VC and online not being fully fleshed out until after launch.

Anyways, I am super excited for the hardware regardless of it's potential software deficiencies. An game wise Zelda and Mario are looking fantastic. This thing oozes potential. Gonna be amazing having these great looking games on the go. March 3rd can't come soon enough.

12. Aaddron

Credit:
  13. Aaddron

Credit:
    Found a android emulator for my Surface Pro that doesn't make it sound like a jet engine... well at least so far, further testing may result in jet engine. I honestly had no idea the Surface Pro fan could even get that loud. I've played hours of Civ 5 and nothing. RuneScape for a while an nothing. The old emulator though... wow. Glad the new one is working better.

14. Aaddron

Credit:
  15. Aaddron

Credit:
    Pretty big leak on Nintendo Switch, some of it may be dated or have changed but it's the most info we've gotten yet. Noteworthy on the technical side is it looks like it will be running a chip equivalent to Tegra X1 found in Shield TV and Pixel C. Graphics will be Maxwell based and not the updated Pascal. 4GB of RAM, in the document it was still undecided how much would be reserved for the system itself. Xbox One and PS4 have 8GB by comparison, though both are restricted to about 5GB for games use. This ram also doubles as VRAM for the GPU.

Game cards start at 1GB and go up to 32GB. Blu-Ray on consoles top out around 50GB right now so it's not terrible, especially considering Switch wouldn't be able to push super high end textures anyways. So at least space on the card shouldn't be an issue for now. Lots of other little things about the UI and stuff were also leaked, you can find it all here:

Leaked In-development UI mockups • /r/NintendoSwitch

16. Aaddron

Credit:
  17. Aaddron

Credit:
    These last couple weeks to Switch launch are gonna be brutal. We are just a few days away from the two week mark, hard to believe it's been months already since the big reveal and years since the first announcement. It's gonna be great! The wait on delivery day though will not... really wish I could just pick it up in stores but can't risk it, good chance they won't have any in stock.

In other news NBA trade deadline is coming up, last chance for teams to make a move to get better... I'm really hoping mine does. We need to do something before this season becomes a wash but I'm not sure it will happen. Least following the rumors will be a small distraction from Switch!

18. Aaddron

Credit:
  19. Aaddron

Credit:
    Seen some more Switch commercials! Best Buy apparently has displays put up now but not hands on. Hype! Hype! Hype! Friday will be 2 weeks left!

In other news Microsoft has said Windows 10 Mobile updates will continue past creators update... but we shall see. Rumors are it will continue to Redstone 3 and then they will make the move over to Windows 10 on ARM. That said, Microsoft changes it's mind all the time. Who even knows... I'm sure Microsoft doesn't even. So I guess we'll see. One thing is for sure though, these updates are not meant to make Windows 10 Mobile compete with Android and iOS... if anything they will be for enterprise. RIP Windows Phone, I hope someday you will be relevant again.

20. Aaddron

Credit: