1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

List Improvements for Ogre Wars

Discussion in 'Ogre Wars' started by ogreman, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Ribab

Ribab BamBam

Credit:
    I am currently working towards an associates degree in Computer Science. I would like to be able to help out with coding, but I don't know if I have enough experience yet. Would the code be in an internet coding language like Javascript?

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    The code is in PHP and MySQL.

3. Ribab

Ribab BamBam

Credit:
    This is just an idea, I don't know if it would ruin the fun and simplicity of the game.

Coordinate system.

With a coordinate system there could be a lot more strategy involved with the nations. Each village will be tied with a set of coordinates. When choosing the coordinates to make one's village, there will be a link to the team's strategy page, where there would be a list of coordinates that are needed strategically.

There should also be a way of transferring supplies, but it would be unreliable through long distances through the coordinate system, and unreliable in large quantities.

With a coordinate system, there can be important locations on the map that nations try to control, and attack + defend, to gain gold and/or troops.

With a coordinate system, the amount of money required to move one's city to a strategic location would be based on two factors: how big the city is and how far the destination is.

Attacking with a coordinate system: less distance between two nations means greater attack power but same defense. Greater the distance means less attack power. This is because the further troops have to travel to attack would weaken them and make them less of a force.

If one nation successfully surrounds a city of another nation, that city would either have to try and escape (risking loosing a lot of gold, or risk landing close to a strong enemy city) or pay for a right of passage.

Cities should only reek the benefits of their nation if they are within their nations boundaries. With a coordinate system, the boundaries would be changing all of the time.

The "distance factor" on attacking should be different when the distance is within one's nation's boundaries. Let's say a player wants to attack an enemy that is 60 km away and 50 km of that was allied territory. Normally this would be a 60 km factor on attack but since 50 km of that was ally territory, it would be a 50/2+10 km factor or a 35 km factor.

4. Ribab

Ribab BamBam

Credit:
    I haven't learned PHP and MySQL yet, but I will learn it in the near future.

5. Ribab

Ribab BamBam

Credit:
    Another suggestion for improvement.

Instead of just the [your nation] forum, there should also be a forum for diplomacy purposes. A diplomatic forum. Within this forum should be six subforums that are each a private forum between two nations. Each nation should only see the three subforums that include their nation. The other three subforums are privately between the other nations and should be invisable and unaccessable to outside nations.

The main diplomatic forum should be a place where open discussions between nations can reside.

6. Ribab

Ribab BamBam

Credit:
    There should also be a link from the game to the official forum and from the official forum to the game.

7. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I would like PvE. PvE may help slow down villages from repeatedly hitting the same targets.

8. speedyturtle

speedyturtle Spiked Club Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    anyone know what is the retaliation time this season?

9. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Wasn't that turned off last season?

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I still like the idea of an "away" system. If I'm going to be away for a week, I think it would be cool to be able to "turn off" Ogre Wars for 7 days. You can't be attacked, but at the same time you cannot use turns (assuming you would get ahold of a computer or something) and your troops do not count for anything (for the total amount in your clan).

The part about troops not counting towards total clan count is to prevent people from all just maxing out troops and then going on "vacation" just so they can't be attacked.

11. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  12. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Maybe. I would definitely support more turns in general, though. :)

13. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
  14. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Having more turns does nothing UNLESS you are hitting the max.
    Like me, I hardly ever have 75 turns stock piled. So having 75 turns or 99 turns would do nothing.

What would change the game for everyone is the amount of time it takes to get a turn. Right now it is 15min = 1 turn. If it was changed to 10min = 1 turn, the game would be drastically different.

I personally want to see some sort of Computer controlled tribes. :)

15. Noche

Credit:
    AI tribes would be interesting, but could end up being a massive pain if they are attack-happy...or, alternately, people would attack them more than each other and it might take away from the pvp aspect of the game.

16. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    If we made AI players then I am sure we can set their attack ratio. Also they would have the same settings as us. Turns, deciding whether troops or money, etc. That would all be determined by their set settings.

Example:

Ratio (Troops/Gold): 70:30; Therefor 70% of their turns will be used on Troops, 30% will be used on gold.

AI will buy: Only 10k Gold Weapons and armor

Those are just examples but it wouldn't be hard to regulate.
    ~krew

17. Noche

Credit:
    Hm, that's a thought.

18. speedyturtle

speedyturtle Spiked Club Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am sorry if i dont agree with some of you on this but having AI players would take alot of programing and would totally change this game, the point of this game is to play as a TEAM and its more enjoyable cause we are playing against each other :) As for turns yes i would have wanted more turns and yes i would have wanted them in less time but unfortunately it didnt happen and i think the reasons for that would be to give fair play to everyone, someone like me who only checks it once a day and for someone who can check the forums and use there turns 4 or 5 times a day but again if the majority would wanna change something than we might have some changes otherwise i think its fairly balanced right now.

SPEEDY
    enjoy

19. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    PLEASE oGreMAN ADD A "USE ALL TURNS ON..." Button :S

im getting sick of clicking :p

20. cooldude671

cooldude671 Cool Dude The Pit

Credit:
    what about letting people choose the ogre wars avater?